Located in Queen Victoria Park, near Table Rock House.
The Niagara Falls Park & River Railway Power Station was built by the
owners of the rail line between Queenston and Chippawa, to provide DC electricity for its trains.
The railway stopped operating in 1932.
Canadian Niagara Power - Rankine Generating Station
In Service: 1905
Capacity: 75 MW
Located in Queen Victoria Park, about 1/2 kilometre from the brink of the Horseshoe Falls.
This station was built and operated by Canadian Niagara Power (now FortisOntario).
International Control Works
In Service: 1957, Expanded 1961
The International Niagara Control Works (INCW) was constructed in the 1950s as part of a
program of remedial works on the Niagara River.
The INCW helps control the flow and volume of the river.
The INCW is a joint project of the New York Power Authority and
Ontario Power Generation (OPG). It is operated and maintained by OPG.
Toronto Power Station
In Service: 1906
Capacity: 98 MW
Located in Queen Victoria Park, about 1 kilometre above the brink of the Horseshoe Falls.
At the time it was opened, the Toronto Power Generating Station was the largest of its type in the world.
The station was built and operated by a private company, the Electrical Development Company
(later the Toronto Power Company) until 1922, when it was purchased by the Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario.
Ontario Power Generating Station
In Service: 1905
Capacity: 132.5 MW
Located almost at river level, near the foot of the Horseshoe Falls.
Water is drawn from an intake approximately 2km above the crest of the falls.
The station was built and operated by the Ontario Power Company (a private company), until 1917, when it was purchased by the
Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario (later Ontario Hydro).
Schoellkopf Power Plant
In Service: 1895
Capacity: 360 MW
A rock slide of approximately 120,000 tons fell from the gorge wall onto
this plant on June 7, 1956, completely destroying it.
This plant was built and operated by J. F. Schoellkopf's company, the Hydraulic Power Company
(later Niagara Falls Power Company). The station was owned by Niagara Mohawk at the time it was destroyed.
Queenston-Chippawa Power Canal
In Service: 1921
First 6km comprises the Welland River; next 14km canal.
Build by the Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario, and operated by its
successor, Ontario Power Generation.